Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Hello Bear Baby Quilt

At the beginning of the year, I decided that at a minimum I would try to post once a month. Sooo...I better get this in before April is in the books. And, it just so happens that the baby this quilt was made for decided to make his appearance today!



This is Hello, Bear by Bonnie Christine. I love this collection so much. When it came out, my friend didn't know if she was having a girl or a boy, though they thought it was a boy. While these fabrics skew a little bit "boy", I thought it would be nice for a girl as well. The colors are gorgeous, and of course they are Art Gallery Fabrics so they're super soft and so drapey. I used some stash fabric for the light solid, I think it's probably Kona Snow. You can definitely tell the difference in quality between the Kona and the Art Gallery Fabrics, but I was happy to use up some of the stash.


I wanted to try out the flying geese pattern, and being Type A as I am, I decided to paper piece them. It is a very good thing this is a baby quilt because it took forever, but the points were perfect.


I am way excited about the quilting on this puppy. I used Aurifil for the first time, in three different colors. Hawthorne Threads, where I buy a lot of my fabric, matches solids and Aurifil colors to fabric collections and it's awesome. It can be really hit or miss trying to match colors online, and they do an excellent job. So I used one of their solid recommendations for the backing fabric. Since the back was plain and dark, I really wanted the quilting to pop off of it. I decided to follow the "V" on the front and echo it with the 3 different colors.


I finished it up by binding with two different shades of teal from my stash. I really love how this turned out and I have quite a bit of this fabric left for another little boy or girl. This dark blue hills design is my favorite, I should order a few yards of it.


2 comments:

  1. I love this quilt! Did you use a pattern or can you tell me how big your flying geese are to make this size baby quilt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle! I didn't use a pattern, but I really liked the way the flying geese looked as a table runner in the look book for this collection. I paper pieced the geese using a template from QuiltMaker.com - the finished size for each flying geese (flying goose?) was 4" x 8", so the quilt came out to about 40" x 48".

      Delete